Region Örebo county Region Örebo county

Trained abroad

Are you a healthcare or dental professional with an education from a country other than Sweden? Welcome to join us in Region Örebro County. We are searching for competent colleagues who, together with us, want to create a better life for our patients and residents.

We primarily seek registered medical practitioners, nurses, nurse practitioners, radiology nurses, and dentists. Do you want to continue your career with us in Region Örebro County? Make a smart choice and move to the Greater Örebro Area!

Laboratoriet, Kopparbergs vårdcentral.

To be able work in Sweden, you need to have a Swedish license if your profession requires it.

Educated within the EU/EEA or Switzerland

If you are educated and hold a license issued within the EU/EEA or Switzerland, recognition of professional qualifications is required before you can apply for a Swedish license and begin your professional practice in Sweden.

You must also be able to certify your language skills in the Swedish language (level C1 according to the European reference framework GERS).

Read more about how to apply for licenses in healthcare (National Board of Health and Welfare).

Medical internships for doctors

If you are a doctor with a Swedish license from the National Board of Health and Welfare and have been educated in Poland, Lithuania, Ireland, Italy, Portugal, the United Kingdom, Austria, or the Nordic countries, it is mandatory to undergo medical internships (AT).

Please contact our Language and Recruitment team for further guidance.

Educated outside the EU/EEA

If you are educated outside the EU/EEA and hold a license, you need to fulfill these requirements:

  • Have your foreign education assessed by the National Board of Health and Welfare.
  • Learn Swedish at the C1 level.
  • Understand how the Swedish healthcare system operates.
  • Pass the proficiency test relevant to your profession.
  • In certain professions, practical service/medical internships may also be required.

After meeting these criteria, you can apply for a Swedish license.

Two ways to acquire your Swedish medical license:

  1. Pursue a supplementary education at a Swedish university.
  2. Take a proficiency test, complete practical service/medical internship, and attend a course in legal knowledge.

Depending on your occupation, the road to a Swedish license can vary.

Please contact our Language and Recruitment team for further guidance.

Our offer

To make the start of your career with us we provide:

  • Support from our Language and Recruitment team.
  • Support initiatives to help you achieve the required language level for acquiring your Swedish license.
  • Language support once employed – to increase patient safety as well as your own.

Learn more about support initiatives for acquiring a Swedish license.

Learn more about language support for employees.

Want to know more? Please contact our Language and Recruitment team or register your interest here.


Our Language and Recruitment team

Did the content help you?

Last updated: Thursday, March 28, 2024